Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Cod Liver Oil

A little while ago a woman who owns a health food store came and did at talk at Mom's Morning Out. Among other things, she talked about how good fish oils are for developing brains. We try to eat Salmon at least once a week, but I decided that the kiddies should be getting more fish oils so I picked some Cod Liver Oil up at the drugstore.

Once home I mentioned to DH that I was going to need to find some reciepes that would allow me to get this C.L.O. into the kids each day and he said, 'Why don't you just give it to them on a spoon.' 'Oh, yah,' I thought. 'No problem, they'll just suck it back. NOT'.
So what does DH do? He pulls out a spoon, pours some C.L.O. onto it and tells J. to come over and get some 'poisson' (fish). The kid comes over, sucks back the 'fish', makes a face, says, 'J'aime pas ca (I don't like that)' and walks away. Well, since J. had gotten something, E. wanted it too so over she comes, sucks back the C.L.O., makes a face, says, 'Yucky, daddy' and walks away. I thought, 'Great, now we'll never get it into them again.'
The next morning DH pulls out the spoon and the C.L.O again. 'J.', he coos, 'time for some 'poisson'. There is no way these kids are going to take this horrible concoction two days in a row! Come on, they know what they were getting into this time so it has to be no way. But no.....J. sucks the stuff back, makes and face and then says, 'Mei-Mei's turn'. She sucks her dose back without a word and then goes back to eating her breakfast. What the hell!

That was about two weeks ago. The children now.....wait for it......ASK for their 'poisson' each morning. Yesterday they actually sat at the table chanting, 'poisson, poisson, poisson'! Crazy.


How long will it last? I'm hoping it lasts at least until the bottle is gone or (best case senerio) until they are old enough to take C.L.O. in capsule form.

4 comments:

Monica said...

Omigosh, that is so funny that they are taking the cod liver oil willingly. Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised because my mom gave it to us on a spoon too when we were little and even though it tasted kind of gross, we all went along with it!

Anonymous said...

You have a gift for writing! I always feel as though I am sitting in your kitchen!

I am flabbergasted (sp?) that they take it so well! That is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! Maybe I should try some of that on my crew:)

I admit that when I was little, my Mom used to take that, and I wanted to try it one day and took some. Just reading your post title today made me have goosebumps and a EEEEEEEKKKKKKK reaction. And then I read on, and now I am wholeheartedly impressed! Perhaps if I get my crew going on this, I will try it once again all these years later:)) I will let you know if I do, and if I survive!!!!!!! LOL

Bravo JP!!!!!!!! Poisson Poisson-non pas poison:)))))

Jen

stefferqc said...

Good for you E and J!

Go check out http://www.endangeredfishalliance.org
/lettersfromyou.htm

to download a guide for what fish is good to get and why. I'm just going thru the exercise of getting re-acquainted with fish after not eating any for 25 years (thought I was allergic, but I am intolerant which is a different kettle of... well... fish).

Anonymous said...

How I remeber my dad trying to get that stuff down my throat all I can say is YUK, I marvel that your little ones are taking it know problems maybe I should send you my crew and you could try with them LOL
colette