Saturday, April 12, 2008

Birthday Preparations

Well tomorrow is J.'s third birthday. His first birthday with us. E.'s birthday is Tuesday, but we're celebrating both birthdays tomorrow and then we'll do something special as a family on Tuesday. Here's what our kiddies looked like when they turned 3: So, at this point the cakes are done, the balloons have been picked up, the Diego plates and cups have been bought, the car and princess hats are in place (E. is very excited about wearing the car hats....sigh. I bought the princess hats for her and the girls) and the house is pretty much clean. At first I thought I would only make one cake, so I asked E. what colour cake she wanted and then I asked J. what shape he would like (since he doesn't know his colours in English or French yet this worked very well). E. has said all long (about the past two months) that she wants a 'pink' cake for her birthday so, pink it is. J. said he wants a 'yue' cake. That's a 'fish' cake. This worked out beautifully as the store that rents the cake molds actually had a tropical fish mold (yeah!). So, I made the 'yue' cake and then decided that it may be too small for the 19 or so people who are coming (7 kiddies, 1 or 2 babies and parents). So I ended up making two 'yue' cakes. One pink and one 'clown fish' colours. I did the clown fish second so I think the decorating is better on it than on the pink one.
Here are the preparations. I had lots of help. Notice the little hand sneaking onto the counter in the first shot.....











Here's the finished Clown Fish.
I still need a brown smartie for the eye, but it's basically finished.
Here's E.'s Pink Fish. I took a close up shot, but it was overexposed.
So, I can now check off 'Mommy Fantasties Number 325 and 326' - Having the chance to make special birthday cakes for your kiddies and having the chance to plan a special birthday party for them too. B.T.W., they are way, way, way excited for tomorrow and so are we!

7 comments:

Teri said...

Wow...what a busy mom you are. I can't imagine having so many people over, baking and decorating two birthday cakes, taking care of two kiddies at the same time, cleaning the house and picking up the balloons!!!! What a super mom! The fish cake is so cute. Y

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIE-JIE and EVA!

Have a wonderful day guys.

I was going to call today..Ill give you call next week.

Teri

Wanda said...

Dawn,

Happy birthday kiddies!!!! How fun. Super Mommie indeed. One question - did you clean up the kitchen before you took the pictures? If yes, I love you. If not, you make me sick!!

Have a wonderful celebration!
Wanda

Anonymous said...

The cake is way too cool! May you have lots of help at the party, many giggles and good memories.
Sylvia

longneys said...

Very happy birthday guys! Sounds like mom's thought of everything. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Be sure to take lots of pictures. I can't wait to hear about the big ParTy!!

Shelley

p.s. If you hear an off key voice from afar singing happy birthday that will be me. :-)

stefferqc said...

Happy Birthday kidlets! WOW...lovely cake, and great helpers to boot... who could ask for more!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to you both...the kids are just too cute..and well Mom you make a very cool cake. Can I place my order?
Hope that you all had a wonderful day...

Hugs,
Karen

Anonymous said...

WOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By now, your 'tomorrow' is today! SO.... how was your party?!!!! Such fun! Happy Birthday Jie Jie! What a special day this must have been!

The cake looks FANTASTIC!!!!!!! Way to go Momma!!!!!!!

Cannot wait for details!!!!

Jen