Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Arguing With a 3 Year Old

In the last post I mentioned how my son will argue until proven wrong. Last night was a perfect example.

My mom looked after E. yesterday because E. was coming down with something. J. went to the babysitter's as usual. While E. and Lao-Lao were here at the house, they had a snack of granola bars. Thees were the last two granola bars in the house (I will not insert here how wonderful my last 10 days have been - totally sick, husband away - very minimal grocery shopping/errands/house cleaning/cooking going on). Anyho..... after supper J. wanted a granola bar for dessert. I told him there weren't any left because E. and Lao-Lao had eaten them. The following 'conversation' then took place:

J: 'Lao-Lao no eat granola bar.'
Me: 'Yes, J. Lao-Lao was here and she and E. had a snack and they ate the last two granola bars.'
J: 'E. eat granola bar?'
Me: 'Yes.'
J: 'Lao-Lao no eat granola bar.'
E: 'Yes, J. Lao-Lao eat a granola bar. Mei-Mei eat a granola bar. Il y en a pu (there aren't any left - um, 'pu' should actually be pronounced 'plus').
J: (starting to get mad) 'Lao-Lao NO eat granola bar.'
Me: 'Do you want us to phone Lao-Lao and ask her?'
Wait for it........
J: 'Yes.' (He really, really would not take our word for it).

So, we call Lao-Lao, he asks her, she verifies our story.......the subject is dropped completely......never mentioned again. He eats some chocolate chips for dessert. Good lord.

4 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Sounds like Cecil. I always call him my little lawyer. Because he'll argue till he's blue in the face. It can be SO frustrating.

Jednet said...

Yes....Lawyer. That's it! Janet, thank-you for helping me put a positive spin on this personnality trait so I don't just give in to my impulse and crush it like a bug. Does Cecil only argue with you or with everyone?

Dawn

Beth said...

Sadly I must inform you it gets no better. H is always asking if we're going the right way and challenging everything we say like we're total idiots. Sends the both of us over the edge! I mean what are we thinking? We've only been on the planet 30+ years longer than she has:)

Anonymous said...

ROFL GOTTA love it!!!!!!!! HAHA

Jen