Friday, April 10, 2009

A Day of Doing Nothing

O.K., I'm so over this being a single parent thing. Today I figured I did nothing, but I couldn't figure out why I felt so tired this evening. Reflecting back on today I realized that my definition of 'doing nothing' has become completely warped!

A day of doing nothing:
  • Up at 6:30
  • Breakfast at the counter - tea & bagels for mom; cereal - one with milk, one without - apple, milk in cups and half of my bagel for kiddies.
  • Baths and hair washing for kiddies
  • Shower and hair 'styling' (read: shoty blow-dry) for mom
  • Throw a load of towels into the washing machine
  • Strip beds
  • Put new sheets on my bed
  • Throw kids sheets downstairs to wash after the towels
  • Watch Cinderella - for the 5th time
  • Start load of kids sheets
  • Watch taped episode of Survivor while listening to whinning about watching Survivor
  • Make lunch
  • Eat lunch
  • Clean-up from lunch
  • Dress kiddies into outside-appropriate clothes (No, you can not wear only daddy's T-shirt to play outside)
  • Put sunscreen on both faces (god they love that :-( )
  • Helmets on, bikes out
  • 1 hour bike ride (They ride, I walk - not looking for a repeat of incident with E. careening down a hill into bushes last year).
  • 45 minutes at the park
  • Come home - the long way
  • Take down Christmas lights
  • Shovel last of snow off patio
  • Convince kiddies to now go inside
  • Make supper - a good one this time (pork tenderloin, noodles and veggies) - while trying to keep J. awake since he didn't nap today (He fell asleep while playing the computer as I was upstairs making supper. I hear him cry in frustration and say that he can't hear Reader Rabbit on the computer. I call down supportively, 'You're the one that messed it up son. I'm sorry I don't know how to fix it. You know you have to wait until dad comes home' (the speakers haven't worked for 4 months) Anyway, about 2 minutes later I hear E. call, 'Mom, J. is sleeping.' Yeah right. Whatever. 'He's just pretending,' I call, but go to look anyway. The kid is passed out on the keyboard of his computer......drooling! I am NOT exaggerating. He is out like a light.)




Anyway, back to the list:




  • As supper is cooking, vaccuum the main floor area plus the stairs since going to the park means copious amounts of sand coming in from the front door - oh yeah and I dumped a bunch of grass around the house because I raked the front lawn yesterday wearing jeans with the bottoms rolled up and then wore those same jeans around the house for over an hour before I figured out where all the dried grass was coming from.
  • Eat (an event, let me tell you)
  • Clean-up from supper - while 'helping' (mostly nagging) kiddies to put on PJ's
  • Pull sheets out of the dryer
  • Go upstairs and make their beds
  • Convince them to stop playing and come upstairs
  • Brush two sets of teeth
  • Wash one face (E. left and I didn't have the energy to make her come back - do you think her face will fall off during the night? - oh crap, I put sunscreen on her earlier....she needed her face washed - too late)
  • Kisses and hugs and to sleep they go
  • Oh, wait a minute....E. calls that she needs socks on
  • Try to convince her that she doesn't (since she didn't wear any last night)
  • She remains completely unconvinced
  • Go back upstairs 3 minutes later because E. is having a tantrum about not having socks on
  • Put the !#%^& socks on
  • All is quiet
  • Post on the blog

And that, my friends......was my day of.......doing nothing. What the heck is happening to me?

5 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

Okay, I do NOT know how you do it. I truly don't. If you need to get out.....I'm here.....:-)

Helena said...

You make me smile! I love your posts like that. And so appropriate after your husband's post! I have an idea....perhaps you should join the military:) It's all those little things that drive you over the edge (ie the socks). For mine it's now an ice pack (thanks for introducing that big sis!) Every night she has a boo boo that must have an ice treatment at bedtime:)
Hope your'e having a drink after you finished the blog entry:)
Ok, once again I forget to check that H has been on before me. UGH
It's really Beth leaving the comment - and I can't go back without losing all I've written.

Wanda said...

Ahhh Mommy - that's the life!!

The drink suggestion is a good one!

Happy Easter!

Teri said...

Your too funny!!!

A mamans job id never done! Hey, did you forget.....you have to get started on your baking!! You have two birthday cakes to make. heehee

Happy Birthday J and E!!!

Teri

Jednet said...

I couldn't even handle 1 birthday cake this year Teri! How can I be this tired all the time?