Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bullets - Mental Health Issue

  • It's not good for your mental health to be sleep deprived because your son is waking up at 4am every morning.
  • It's not good for your mental health to have a son that is sleep deprived because he is waking up at 4am every morning and who is therefore having great difficulty listening to and following instructions about not touching every fuckin thing in sight.
  • It's really not good for your mental health when this happens in the weeks leading up to your period.
  • It's really, really not good for your mental health when all of that happens while you are trying to figure out how you are going to fit assessment exercises into you lessons at school before report cards when you know you are losing a whole week of classes due to Spirit Week.
  • It's really, really, really not good for your mental health when all of that is going on and it's been too cold for children to play outside for the past month (umm.... both your children and the one you teach).
  • It's also not good for your mental health when you are in a constant time crunch, but you run around collecting stuff, creating a care package for your husband, delivering it at 8:30 on a freezing cold night because you had Parent-Teacher interviews to someone who will take it to the base for you only to get a phone call 3 days later informing you that the package cannot be sent because it contains liquids (which is the one thing your husband REALLY, REALLY wants and that you had to run around to 3 different groceries stores to find enough of the only, single kind that he likes) which are the very same liquids that you sent to him the month before that he was absolutely thrilled to receive and so you have to drive to the base - 45 minutes from where you live - to pick the boxes back up and then you fall asleep at the wheel on the way back from there at 2:15 in the afternoon because of.....well....see the first bullet. That one is bad for both your mental and physical health actually. Not too good for the kid in the backseat either.
  • A dirty house is not good for my mental health. Cleaning it isn't too good for it either :-))
  • It is good for your mental health when you finally give in and buy pull-ups for your son and he sleeps until 6:15 the next morning and most mornings after that. (Don't ask me why he was waking-up though. The pull-ups are dry every morning anyway.)
  • It is very good for your mental health when your husband sends you a dozen roses when you are very, very close to tipping over the EDJJ (and maybe taking a couple of them out with you - mostly the bigger J.).
  • It is also very good for your mental health to be surrounded by family, neighbours and friends who are willing to help you by:
  • shoveling your driveway after 3 days of snow
  • taking your kids to gymnastics so you can get some work done
  • keeping your babies all day even though they're only supposed to be there for the morning
  • ordering a meal by e-mail to be delivered to your family on a day when there are no groceries in the house
  • bringing us our favorite meal from our favorite restaurant so I don't have to cook or clean-up on a Saturday evening
  • picking-up one child from the babysitter while I take the other child to an appointment
  • It's also very, very, VERY good for your mental health to hire someone to clean your house one a week when you are living as a single, working, little-kids-having parent. Why oh why didn't I save myself a lot of grief and do that as soon as I found out he was leaving?

2 comments:

James said...

And it's good for the mental health of others to read your posts and laugh. The swearing was particularly funny to me - don't know why! I loved all of the bullets. I'm not sure there's a whole lot we can help with, not living too close and your kids not knowing us very well and all, but if you think of something, by all means let me know. For now I'll say extra prayers and hope that will do. Sounds like you have great people helping you out.
If it's any consolation I think you're a trooper and I'm quite certain things are well in hand, despite your descriptions. I don't think I'd make it.
Glad your reports are done. I'm well ahead of myself so am very happy about deciding to pace it out so as not to be so stressed all at once.
Think of you all lots. Big hugs from us.
PS it's Beth posting, not James - I just noticed that he was the last one to comment and if I change the identity it won't save so I'm too lazy to retype!

Our family said...

AHHHHHHHHHH, hang in there....

So glad that you have so many friends and family members so happy to be there for you... I am sure that you are also good for their mental health. What blessings.

Take care my friend and know that you are never far from our thoughts.

Hugs,
Jen